The earth’s boundaries have become tangible and the journey to a natural world is in fact a transformation which affects everyone and everything. Continuing as we are is not an option. The ball is in our court, in my court. Change starts with self-reflection. Who am I and how do I live as a person, a consumer, a worker, a citizen, a nature lover? What could I change in my choices and behaviour to live a more environmentally friendly life? Which changes would suit me well? It is a process, not a one-time thing. Asking ourselves these questions provides insight to find the context and the roles which come naturally to us and let us keep our energy high. Lifemaps help to visualise what’s going on, make connections and find new perspective. To choose direction for collaboration, to create a personal compass based on overview and insight, and gather realistic ideas for action.
Lifemaps are an instrument for intuitive self-discovery. At the basis of a lifemap is a scenario, a story about a personal or societal theme or a global issue. Each of the available lifemap scenarios tells its own story and illuminates a different perspective. Following the chosen scenario people fill in their own maps to create an overview of the current reality and the envisioned future. The text and symbol stickers for this contain knowledge on the topic and the table poster facilitates the self-discovery process. In online workshops participants tell each other their own story, using their maps. Together they elaborate on it in a group dialogue about the here and now and a brainstorm about the future. A lifemap experience is a learning journey, individually and collectively.
When you express what is in you on the map it will give you a sense of intimacy and contentment. While you immerse yourself in the process, you’ll come closer to yourself. The filled-in map will read as a book and show the full richness of your life: who you are, your relationships, work, places, plans and purpose. It will show how everything is related and how you connect to the world. Feeling into what’s behind it will bring you clarity and inspiration and strengthen your resolve. You will work in a group of four in several online workshops. You are invited to come as you are. You don’t have to prepare or study because knowledge and process are built in, in the lifemap. The filled-in map will help you find words and tell your life story easily. The others listen deeply, with full attention, without discussion. A calm and open atmosphere will lead to an exchange which reaches further than people thought possible.
Lifemaps are meant to facilitate people in developing deep connections between personal themes and key societal and global issues. The lifemap process will show you ways to develop what is natural in you and in your environment. Collaborating in a group of four works well for this purpose. A lifemaps project starts with an online orientation on the scenario and on what the group wants and needs. Participants fill in their map in their own time, at their own homes. Online group work follows, in two workshops for enquiry, discovery and meaning making, to find direction and set the intention or goal to apply the findings. Each project follows this basic programme, but if desired a group can stay together longer, for example to observe over a longer period how their insights and intentions impact their reality. With the aim to learn from each other and encourage each other.
Enjoy the full richness of your life and find out how your values create more love everywhere
- Scenario: Developing love as a person, a citizen
- Project in 2024: there is room for a group of highly sensitive people who are motivated to contribute to the evaluation of this lifemap scenario from an experiential point of view. Participation in this project is free. The language will be Dutch. Get in touch to find out more.
- Project in 2022: a group of people set the intention to find ways to develop more peace in our own lives, as a person and a citizen. During the 99 days journey, from World Unity Week to Peace Week, we used lifemaps to create an overview of how what was going on in the world was reflected in our lives. The individual mapping process helped to open up ourselves. Then, seeing ourselves in this overview, we explored the openings and possibilities to consciously develop peace. Exchanging stories and deep listening brought our energies together and created a harmonious and connected group space. Looking back at our journey, we were amazed to find how peace had indeed inspired us and had expressed itself in our actions. This project ran for four months with six workshops. Ellen was both host and participant.
Include the planet in your worldview to gain clarity for personal adaptation
- Scenario: Becoming a global citizen in a doughnut economy
- Project in 2024: a conversation with Livingcities Earth members will be initiated during the summer.
- Project in 2024: there is room for a group of highly gifted and multitalented people who are motivated to contribute to the evaluation of this lifemap scenario from an experiential point of view. Participation in this project is free. The language will be Dutch. Get in touch to find out more.
Exploring the concept of the human hive will provide new ideas to live and work together
- Scenario: Voices in the city working together like bees in a hive
- Project in 2024: a project for the City Makers community has started.
- Project in 2020: the lifemap scenario Voices in the city working together like bees in a hive uses a simple meshworking process to enable multi-stakeholder groups in a city to discover and experience Humanity’s Code of Care, and find new ideas and perspective for collaboration. Workshops using this scenario were organised in cooperation with the Caravan of Unity, an initiative of Co-Creating Europe for peace, democracy and solidarity. During the 99 days journey of the Caravan, from World Unity Week to Peace Week, a mixture of online and on location workshops were hosted for London and Findhorn in the United Kingdom, in Klaipeda in Lithuania, Tampere in Finland, and Lisbon in Portugal. Both the experiences and the outcomes created a rich harvest.
Learn more about consciously creating daily life, using your unique inner powers
- Scenario: Manifesting a life, grounded in wholeness
- Projects in 2023: two groups have been working on personal creation and manifestation for six months. At the end they both contributed to Peace Week 2023 by writing two articles: What does peace mean in my life? and: Finding peace in the action. In this project every step in the individual mapping process was followed by storytelling and sharing feedback. Step 1: choosing principles of creation that came to the fore in the past and selecting principles yet unknown as an inspiration for the future. Step 2: filling in the map with the key life themes that were part of the past, followed by a storytelling, sharing feedback and a dialogue about the meaning of ‘my roots’. Step 3: mapping the current situation. Step 4: filling in the key themes as wished, longed for, aimed for in the future. After the storytelling, people shared what had already been fulfilling in their lives. A formative dialogue followed in which each participant looked at the future, through the lens of the newly found insights. In several come back meetings, people digested the process, individually and through group conversations.
Enquire into the collective perspective on your work to find new ways towards a healthy future
- Scenario: Your life’s work, seen from a collective perspective
- Project in 2023: a group worked for four months with a complementary scenario: Creating your life’s work, day by day. It was a deep and wide exploration into the inner sources: motives, capacities, values, preferences and priorities. Based on their experiences it became clear that a healthy and realistic future orientation needed to include the collective perspective. Both scenarios are available, depending on what a group wants or needs.
Living from the heart, with a sense of soul, enriches and deepens your choices
- Scenario: Recognising the soul in your life
- Project in 2020: a group connected to Integral City chose this scenario to experience working with lifemaps. They were touched by what they found out about themselves, especially by being able to see the richness of their lives, multilayered and multifaceted. They were inspired by the value of deep sharing and dialogue based on the filled-in maps.
- Project in 2018: five groups tested scenarios about personal transformation, using different lifemap materials: Completely yourself (light and shadow), Conscious business (environment friendly, generous with money), Creating your life (guided by natural principles) and Life’s mission (based on what shone through from the filled-in map). The day-long workshops took place in a harmonious location in the countryside. Their experiences laid the foundation for the later lifemap scenarios.